We are on the look out for freelance Designers to join our digital product teams. We have freelance openings in both our Paris and New York studios. There, you will join forces with user experience designers, engineers, product directors, producers, and our clients to build upon our client’s established goals — you’ll collaborate in an iterative process of design, development and ongoing optimization. You’ll be responsible for designing complex systems and interface elements.
As a successful candidate, you believe in form and function equally and through a process of iteration, you design user-centered, content driven products that offer intuitive utility and human connectivity. You place a strong emphasis on craft and take pride in seeking out simple solutions to complex problems. You deliver jaw dropping graphic design with pixel perfect accuracy and strive to create modern, well-crafted high performance websites.
If you're interested in full-time work, please check out our listing in our New York studio.
Your primary responsibilities would be to:
- Develop highly resolved and formal designs of visual system and interface elements that take the product strategy to the next level.
- Execute design on a project level including the design of interface elements within all phases of a project lifecycle.
- Execute design production and ensure project deliverables are produced within quality standards.
- Support Design Directors in upholding and executing AREA 17’s exacting design standards and methodologies.
- Articulate the rationale of a design framework with conceptual and strategic ability.
- Contribute to user experience design as needed.
- Contribute to the design quality assurance phase as needed.
Your previous experience shows us that you:
- Champion design; as you look out into the world, you see opportunity at every glance for how smarter design could make for a more beautiful, useful and joyful human experience. And, that’s exactly how you approach interactive and product design.
- Have a technical command; with a deep understanding of the importance of web technical specifications and requirements which you apply to creating visual systems which can be achieved in code.
- Are a born collaborator and thrive on cross-disciplinary work flows and feedback; you drive excellent results through consistent and proactive innovation and inspiring interactive and product designs; you love iteratively ideating until the best design arises.
The design team:
The design discipline at AREA 17 relies on principles of modern design to ensure the details are carefully considered and eloquently executed. We work with strategists, user experience designers and engineers to build beautiful, performant and well considered solutions to our client’s business problems. We craft brands that pique curiosity, express ambition and encourage loyalty. We believe design is at the heart of doing good business; as such we join forces with our clients to work as one. We immerse ourselves in their culture, community, needs and ambition. Together we establish goals and collaborate in an iterative process of design, development and ongoing optimization.
AREA 17 is a digital product agency:
As a company, we value arts and culture, education and design, free expression and social progress. With a commitment to design excellence and engineering performance, we create brands and digital products for acclaimed museums, academic institutions, design organizations, and editorial platforms in the public and private sectors, as well as innovative start-ups, brands, nonprofits and philanthropies.
We are an equal opportunity employer:
We are committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff, and recognize that our continued success depends on hiring and retaining high-quality, creative professionals with a variety of backgrounds and experiences. Opportunities for advancement exist for all employees – we invest in each member of the team to develop, grow and advance, individually and as a team.
We strongly encourage everyone to apply. AREA 17 does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, handicap, and/or disability, veteran status, or any other protected category under federal, state or local law.